Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Crying until picked up - colic?

kristagkristag
posted 8 years 10 months ago
Hi everyone

Sophie has been great with feeding and sleeping but just over the last 2 days, she's having quite scary crying fits. I know there is nothing wrong with her as she's fed, clean and not got a temperature but last night, for example, she cried non-stop from 6pm until 1am. The only time she stopped was when I picked her up and held her and she fell fast asleep. As soon as I put her back in her moses basket - scream! Crying

We rocked her in her basket, gave her a dummy which she spat out and wouldn't take, held her hands - basically all the things that worked before but to no avail.

I feel a little anxious about the crying. Could it be colic at just over a week old? She is being breastfed and feeds very well but does posset a bit.

Any advice would be great.

Join JustParents to remove this advert

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
Aaralyn was like that too, only it started a few weeks later. They called it colic, I gave her liquid to help ease gas, changed my diet around to see if it was something I was eating her that bothered her, nothing worked..... she would just cry and cry and cry Crying and of course so would I, which I don't think helped matters because to this day she is such an apathetic child especially with my feelings, she felt my stress big time I think.

Anyway, the 2 things that helped alot were her swing and her vibrating seat with classical music played for her... we would both find moments of peace with those devises Very Happy

Obviously you'll mention this to the MW or Dr and they can check things out further just to rule out anything else that might be making her uncomfortable.....

With all that said I hope it gets better quick and....... I WANNA SEE SOME MORE PICS OF THAT BEAUTIFUL GIRL!!! Love when you have time of course Wink

edited to add that maybe I should check facebook first, maybe new ones there?

LucyLucy
Gemma was the colicking baby from the screaming land of hell!!! Colic is gassy bubbles trapped under the diaphram, this usually happens about 6pm, the mw gave her infacol, it helped sooo much i can tell you.

The only releif she got was sitting in her car seat. it was because she was sitting bent not laid out, is sophie drawing her knees up? If she is then its definatley colic. She will draw them up and have a high pitched scream, its distressing but the infacol will help it disperses the bubbles that cause the colic.

You could try some infant gripe water thats suitable for newbies. Get some advice from the HV, MW or DR.

kristagkristag
Sounds like colic could be starting. She does suffer from wind (if we had a dog we'd blame that quite happily Embarassed ) and does draw her knees up. She will sleep fairly flat in my arms but not in the moses basket and yes, it is starting in the evenings. Mike is convinced she doesn't like him as it starts when he gets home No

Got MW round tomorrow and Health Visitor on Thursday so will check it out with both - double reassurance! Thumbs Up

Tammy - yes there are some more piccies on Facebook Smile

LucyLucy
do you bottle or breast feed, if you are formula feeding then check the teat that you are using, you might find that shes sucking and not getting much or even its too fast.

I would enquire about changing that, if you are breast feeding then maybe you are eating something thats irritating her, its a process of eleimnation

AlexAlex Moderator
Poor Sophie (and poor you and Mike) It does sound very like Colic. remember to wathc what you are eating because something you might be eating might disagree with her. Hug

candgsmumcandgsmum
Both mine had colic, although I found that even holding them didn't make them stop. Charlotte suffered a lot with trapped wind and her eyes would roll because she was so full of wind! I used Gripe water with her and infacol with George.

I found that the both had positions that eased their tummy ache, Charlotte liked to be laid on her tummy across our knee and her back rubbed and the wind came up (or down) a treat. George liked to be sat or propped and his belly rubbed in circular movements.

I would suggest maybe doing baby massage, I found it used to work wonders, especially on George after his bath, it would help him go down for a sleep better than without.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
As all the others have said hun,it definitely sounds like colic. You could be describing Jakey to a t! He was exactly the same. We only got piece by putting him in his carseat where he would sleep for an hour or two but if we tried to put him in his crib or moses basket (which o bought because he would go in his crib! Rolling Eyes ) he just screamed. I remember sitting up night after night with us both crying! It will get better though hun, i found infacol great too! (we also tried dentinox colic drops, which helped a bit and gripe water which also helped a bit. Not as much as the infacol though! Thumbs Up )

kristagkristag
I think I've found the cause - a rather hot chilli I had eaten for 2 days running Embarassed

Last night, she was absolutely fine and no sign of crying all evening. She had her feeds (I'm breastfeeding) fine with the last one at 8.45pm and I had to wake her up at 3am as she was fast asleep still! She then had a feed and I woke her again at 8am (I read somewhere you shouldn't let them go more than 5-6 hours between feeds so I set my alarm).

I think I need to be careful of spicy foods. She had a few runny nappies the day and day after I'd had the chilli and very bad wind so I think that could be the culprit Scared

Thanks for the advice everyone. At least I know what to do now when the colic does hit!! Baby

mumonemumone
My son had really bad colic and his cryign fits lasted for hours - they always started at the same time and that was a key sign of colic. We got him so detinox and it worked a treat. All the medical folks deny colic exists but it absolutely does - it is also claimed that babies who get breastfed don't get colic but this is also untrue.

AlexAlex Moderator

kristag said:

Last night, she was absolutely fine and no sign of crying all evening. She had her feeds (I'm breastfeeding) fine with the last one at 8.45pm and I had to wake her up at 3am as she was fast asleep still! She then had a feed and I woke her again at 8am (I read somewhere you shouldn't let them go more than 5-6 hours between feeds so I set my alarm).

I wouldnt be waking her if she was sleeping. IMO she will wake if she is hungry.

Glad you found the cause and things are better.x

kristagkristag

Alex said:

kristag said:

I wouldnt be waking her if she was sleeping. IMO she will wake if she is hungry.

I checked about leaving her to sleep through with the midwife but she said as she's not quite back at birth weight yet, to ensure she does feed every 5 hours max. Once she's back at birth weight and gaining still, I can leave her to sleep through the night. Wouldn't that be grand! Clapping

AlexAlex Moderator

kristag said:

Alex said:

kristag said:

I checked about leaving her to sleep through with the midwife but she said as she's not quite back at birth weight yet, to ensure she does feed every 5 hours max. Once she's back at birth weight and gaining still, I can leave her to sleep through the night. Wouldn't that be grand! Clapping

that will be grand Very Happy

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews