Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

grr b****y school b****y system

angelsmomangelsmom
posted 8 years 11 months ago
caseys nursery have just given us the forms to apply for school and want it back tomorrow as they have to be with the council by 24th. according to the timetable in the booklet we should ov had it on 8th sept.

now caseys nursery is joined to the school i really want her to go to, its close to home is a brand new builing so has all mod con and got an 'outstanding' report from ofsted.how ever it is a CofE school, (which didnt come in to question for nursery) but the school application wants to know when and where she was baptised and what parish we belong to. we dont go to church, were not religious at all so she hasnt been baptised.

im almost convinced she wont get in because of it, (we were told that being accepted to nursery doesnt guarentee a school place).

but the i really dont want her to go to the next closest school. i know a few kids in that school that they have decided have problems but do nothing for them, most of their mothers would take them out. however this is the school where her half brother goes so they will prob send her there.

ive actually been cryin about this already and ive only filled in the application form in.

Join JustParents to remove this advert

LucyLucy
from personal experience i would put on the form that you are not church goers and no formal baptism has taken place. I understand that this is stressing you, but i would speak to the admissions office before you fill in the form and explain that you do not attend church and you have chosen not no baptise your child and will this affect her chance of a place at the school.

Gemmas school was non denominational, but i beleive that a school not far from me was a CofE school and several children that i know of are not baptized and they have had no problem attending that school.

As long as you are in the catchment area for the school Casey attends at the moment then there should be no problem.

Dont cry and dont stress it will work out.

If you want any help, log on to the website they may list their priorty admissions on the site.

Good luck

angelsmomangelsmom
i have their admissions policy and faith is like 3rd/4th on list of 5. on the form you have to put when she was baptised and what church you attend. we are within catchment area easily.

i just really really dont want her at the other school. i never thaught i would get so upset and emotional about her school.

im even ready to try and move home (where i grew up) so she can get in a decent school.

GTTkelGTTkel
I totally feel for you. I had to appeal to get Summer into the school we wanted because we missed the application date, which was down to the forms being sent to the wrong address. I was so emotional over it and if we had not won the appeal I was ready to go to the paper and everything. Thankfully we won and she got in but I cried and was so afraid she wouldn't get the school that was best for her.

I would suggest that on your application you are very clear on the reasons you want a place at that school and make sure you include why it is best for her emotional well being as they are eagre to do what is best for a child's mental state and happiness. Perhaps make a big issue of the importance of going through this progression to school with friends for support and assurance

LucyLucy

angelsmom said:
i have their admissions policy and faith is like 3rd/4th on list of 5. on the form you have to put when she was baptised and what church you attend. we are within catchment area easily.

i just really really dont want her at the other school. i never thaught i would get so upset and emotional about her school.

im even ready to try and move home (where i grew up) so she can get in a decent school.

i honestly dont think its anything to worry about, just dont fill it in or put that shes not baptised and you dont attend a church. If faith isnt a priorty dont let it worry you.

Shes in the catchment area and you have her in the nursery although it doenst mean she automatically gets a place but it sounds like she fills the criteria mostly.

Not all parents are prepared to baptise their kids, i did, but thats me, i dont attend church but im catholic by faith but not a good one.

Dont fret. It will turn out ok im sure Hug

AlexAlex Moderator
Hope it turns out ok for you hun.

I don't understand the English way of applying for a school. Up here we don't have to apply, you automatically get into the school in your catchment area, enrolling your child in January for starting in August If you want to sent your child to another school outwith the catchment (like Joseph does) you enroll your child and aslong as you don't cause the school to make an additional class and therfore employ an extra teacher, your child will be accepted.

SamuelSamuel
Alex, what if you have 6 schools in your catchment area?

angelsmomangelsmom
unfortunatly because we only had a night to fill this in we havent had enough time to think about how to put our feelings down best. last year they could accept 30kids and 32 applied.

im fairly sure none of caseys nursery class attend church, however many may be baptised as it an excuse for a party.

i dont want my kids baptised as i dont want to push them into any religion, i think it should be their choice. (i know thats abit hypocritical when im sending her to a church school but thats purely for educational purposes.)

but forms in now gotta sit back and hope for the best, will find out in febuary.

LucyLucy

angelsmom said:
unfortunatly because we only had a night to fill this in we havent had enough time to think about how to put our feelings down best. last year they could accept 30kids and 32 applied.

im fairly sure none of caseys nursery class attend church, however many may be baptised as it an excuse for a party.

i dont want my kids baptised as i dont want to push them into any religion, i think it should be their choice. (i know thats abit hypocritical when im sending her to a church school but thats purely for educational purposes.)

but forms in now gotta sit back and hope for the best, will find out in febuary.

im sure shell get in and you will have worried over nothing. xfingers for you and casey

and i understand your reasons for not wanting to get her baptised its a personal preference and not everyone chooses to.

I did, but thats how i was raised. But each to their own.

Good luck and all the best

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews