Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Paternity leave question

kristagkristag
posted 8 years 11 months ago
Hubby is taking Paternity Leave next week despite the fact that my EDD is not until 19/10/08. However, we were told baby would be early so thought it best to plan around this with his works. They seem fine about it BUT I have been doing a bit of reading and now I'm worried.

It seems he isn't supposed to have the leave until the baby is born. However, even if he booked for 19/10 for a week's paternity leave, it doesn't mean necessarily she'd arrive then (I know I'm not allowed to go overdue but that doesn't apply to everyone does it).

If he takes next week off and she hasn't arrived, will he not get any other time off when she does? Would he have to change next week into holiday/unpaid leave and move his paternity leave date? He couldn't give 28 days notice now though as required.

I'm really confused.

What happens to those of you who had hubby book paternity leave for when bubs was due but then went 2 weeks over? Did hubby just cancel and wait or did you do something else when bubs arrived?

I'm getting a very stressed head about all this Frustrated

Join JustParents to remove this advert

LihraLihra
my hubby took paternity leave from the day she arrived as most people know and like most things in life these things cannot be predicted ask him to speak to his boss if not at work go in on monday and say baby has not arrived is ther any possibility he could book it for your due date and if babs arrives early take it slightly earlier

orc30orc30
For me I spoke to the company I was working for well in advance, and then took the paternity leave from the day baby arrived.

These things can't be planned and it would be unreasonable of an employer to expect you to book your paternity leave in advance, except for around the due date.

I would go back to the employer and say the baby is due on this day and I would like the appropriate week off. If he takes it in advance of the baby arriving then he will have to use holiday/unpaid leave to take time off when the baby arrives and the employer may be less willing to fit this in as he would already of had time off.

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Hi my dfhad to inform his company of when he would want to take his paternity leave as an estimate. He gave them the baby's due date so they had a rough idea and then rang themwhen i went into labour and took it from that day (I was 4days over) Most companies are very understanding with this. As long as you keep them informed. They know babies are unpridictable and allow for this hun! Xx

mumof3girlsmumof3girls
hi hun i would just ask him to talk to his boss and see what he says so you are not worrying. You are due the same day as me Smile xxx

WolfblassWolfblass
Oh hun - i think the best thing all round is for him to speak to his HR dept or Manager as soon as possible and see what they are willing to do and how flexible they will be. xxxx

AlexAlex Moderator
My pals Hubby told his work when baby was due so they had an idea. He then had the day off baby was born but didnt start his paternity until baby and his wife came home from hospital because he wanted to be of use when she was at home and not be at home visiting her in hospital. It worked out well for them because my pal and baby were in hospital for 4 days, so he went to work and visited them at night and was able to spend their first 2 weeks at home and be of use.

kristagkristag
Thanks everyone. His company are inflexible (he works in TV) so he's taken this week and has 3 paid paternity days left to take when she's born and also can take holiday then or unpaid leave.

To be honest, it's nice to have him around as I don't think she's far away and he would have been working nights all this week Shocked

Hey mumof3girls that's great! We'll have to see which of us comes first Clapping

x

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews