Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

holding kids back a grade.

glowingsunglowingsun
posted 9 years 4 days ago
What are your opinions of failing kids just because they had to struggle to get a good grade? and do you think it's true that schools aren't failing kids anymore? (i mean when they get a bad grade)

Join JustParents to remove this advert

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
posted 9 years 4 days ago
I think it depends on which extent the child is struggling. If they are not accademically up to where the rest of the kids are in that grade then in younger grades I don't think there should be a problem holding a child back if the need be.

I know studies have shown that kids who are held back beyond kindergarten and first grade can have some negative effects and there is a larger percent that drop out if they are held behind. I've read this because one of my best friend's held her son back in first grade again this year because he was struggling alot and was not up to what he should have been in that grade. He also just made the cut off age for kindergarten so he was a bit younger than alot of the other children in his class. She did a lot of research before she made the decision to keep him back in first grade but she feels very confident now that she's done the right thing.

Mike (my boyfriend) also held his daughter back in kindergarten because he and her teacher felt she wasn't ready for 1st grade... he never regreted that either and this past year she started out as a junior and took night classes and became senior half way through school year and graduated with honors with a 3.89 grade point average, she also did well and made honor roll grades all through school, so it must have been a good decision there too!

So, again, I think it's dependent on how much the child is struggling to make at least standard grades.

GTTkelGTTkel
posted 9 years 3 days ago
I don't think it's fair to hold kids back for being at the lower end of the class academically, because it could cause them other problems such as being seperated from their friends and lowering their self esteem. However I don't think the schooling system can be blamed for some students falling below the expected grades, everyone is different and there will always be a hierarchy academically; it's human nature. In my personal experiences of school both as a student in the past and now as a mother, I think we have a very good education system and are very lucky at the options and support available to our children.

staceybstaceyb
- My blog

GTTkel said:
I don't think it's fair to hold kids back for being at the lower end of the class academically, because it could cause them other problems such as being seperated from their friends and lowering their self esteem. However I don't think the schooling system can be blamed for some students falling below the expected grades, everyone is different and there will always be a hierarchy academically; it's human nature. In my personal experiences of school both as a student in the past and now as a mother, I think we have a very good education system and are very lucky at the options and support available to our children.

i completely agree. my son is behind in his development and sending to nursery then school is the best thing weve done for him. hes come along leaps and bounds. i think school helps them no end. as he is behind he also gets one-on-one help which he wouldnt really get at home. no i think its best that they go to school and alot of the time theyre ready anyway

ElementaryElementary
I think the term 'holding back' is wrong - that surely makes the child and everyone else feel that they are failing - I don't know how but schools almost need the classes to cease being age orientated and to be more academically orientated

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews