Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

when did people tell their work?

blessedblessed
posted 9 years 1 week ago
I work in a school and was going to tell the head I was pregnant aftre my 12 week scan. But I'm 6 1/2 and in maternity clothes. I show quite a lot (can no longer see feet!) and I thinking it can't be kept a secret for much longer. i know some of the staff are wondering... Any suggestions?!

thanks!
blessed

Join JustParents to remove this advert

glowingsunglowingsun
It's up to you whether you feel it's your jobs business in knowing. If you don't tell them though, they might become panicy and wonder if your planning on leaving with out much notice. Or if you do tell them, they will feel they will have to treat you differently. It all depends on what you do at your job or what your working around. Are you planning on going on pregnancy leave or what till after you've had the baby? And when are you planning on returning.These are some of the questions you should be prepared to answer to your boss, too.

angelsmomangelsmom
i told work staright away but my job involved lifting so didnt have much choice. id had a miscariage a few months before i fell with DD (they knew i was preggers then 2) so when id fallen i was relegated to light lifting and sitting at tills.

if you think they should know or you cant hide it tell the head in confidence, there may be a risk assesment that needs doing.

kristagkristag
I wasn't planning to tell work until my 12 week scan was done but they guessed. This was mainly because, like you, I started to show very quickly on and also I was feeling so sick my eating patterns changed. I only work in a small office so it's hard to hide even subtle changes.

You need to tell them when you feel it is right. Maybe you could just confide in a superior for now and leave the main 'announcement' until after you 12 week scan?

Good luck hon Hug

hannah81hannah81
Legally, there is no hard and fast rule about how soon you tell work but the sooner you do the sooner they will be able to make any relevant adjustments for your employment that you require (e.g making sure that you have a supportive enough chair to sit in etc) f you don't think you require any adjustments at all then you don't have to tell them until you need to start arranging maternioty leave (although they may start asking questions when you are 24 weeks and still haven't mentioned it!)Really whether or not you are showing it is a cse of going with your own comfort levels. My advice from an perspective would be to tell your line manager and ask for it to remain confidential until you feel comfortable revealing such things to your colleagues as well. And if people ask you and you aren't ready to say, just embarrass them and tell them you've put on loads of weight recently...it'll teach them a lesson for being nosy Very Happy

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Hi hun, i agree with what everybody else has said. I would tell them when you feel comfortable. I told my manager almost straight away as i had quite bad morning sickness and she would have wondered what was going on with me running off the till (worked in WH Smith) and being sick. Also we weren't allowed drinks on the checkouts but i found sipping water helped so i had to ask for permission for that. I didn't tell everyone else until after my 12week scan but i know most people had already guessed!
It is also a legal requirement for your manager/head of school to perform a risk assesment on you so they can adjust anything within your job that would be dangerous or uncomfortable for you. Ultimately it is your decision though hun. Xx

AlexAlex Moderator
I told my work at 9 weeks because I worked on food to go in Sainsburys and I kept being sick. They couldnt (or wouldnt) do a risk assessment until I was 12 weeks and then I should have had another at about 24 weeks (although I left before that)

LucyLucy
i was about 12 weeks

candgsmumcandgsmum
posted 9 years 5 days ago
I told a the girls in my office when I had it confirmed at about 8ish weeks with Charlotte and then told my bosses at 12 weeks.

With George, I told my boss while in floods of tears, I'd started to bleed and had to go to A&E, poor bloke he didn't know what to do or say. The girls in the office had guessed a few days before as I'd asked them to take the post bag down the stairs for me, usually I wouldn't have done that, so they cottoned on.

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
posted 9 years 5 days ago
I took a pregnancy test in the bathroom at the resturant I was working at at the time. The test came back positive and there happened to be 5 other girls employed there that were already pregnant (something in the water???) so I told everybody straight away as it was too hard to keep it a secret with all the other preggies there.... at one point there ended up being 7 of us pregnant at one time Shocked

I think you should tell them when you feel comfortable hun!

WelshMumWelshMum
posted 9 years 2 days ago
I had to tell my supervisor straight away as my job involved lifting a lot and occasionlly working with liver, which although I'm not eating it (can't stand the stuff anyway) they won't let me handle it just in case. If you have a relatively low risk job anyway, I would think it's up to you. I have a formal risk assessment at about 5 months.

looploop
posted 9 years 1 day ago
I told my work when I was 3 months pregnant. It wasn't that hard as I found out I was pregnant at 11 weeks, so never had to wait long! And it was my birthday on the 12 weeks, so it was announced i had a bun in the oven when my cakes were handed out!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews