Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Our election year (in the US)

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
posted 9 years 2 months ago
I'm just curious if anyone is keeping up with the Presidential Election this year??

I'm a democrat and 100 percent behind Barack Obama, although I'm not too sure I like his choice of running mate too much (Joe Biden). Obama did his National Democratic Convention Speach last night and I love that man even more now. I personally can't stand John McCain, I think he is a Bush wannabe and I think 8 years is enough of that!!

I was thinking that Obama had a great chance but now McCain has announced his running mate, a woman, governor of Alaska... he was very strategic with his choice and I think it's gonna be a tough run and get very ugly in the next few months.

Please American people recognize this.... Obama is a young man, very well educated but seems like a "real guy" he is the poorest senator in the senate and McCain is the wealthiest (or atleast one of them... that should say something right there), Obama grew up with a struggling single mother, McCain with a silver spoon... now who's more real??

Ok, Off my soap box now, I just felt the need to talk about this. I've also come up with a great idea for a bumper sticker that Mike is going to make for us... I don't want to say what it is but watch this space!

AlexAlex Moderator
I don't understand American politics but when I first heard Obama speak he caught my ears, I think he is a very powerful man and I do hope he is elected.

ellee1984ellee1984
i say go democrats get rid of that bush guy and his wannabe's!!!

orc30orc30
I can't believe the US elected Bush once, but then to elect him for a second term Cuckoo
He's a blundering fool!!!
I don't really track US politics in any detail, nor our own to that degree which is bad of me.

orc30 said:
I can't believe the US elected Bush once, but then to elect him for a second term Cuckoo
He's a blundering fool!!!
I don't really track US politics in any detail, nor our own to that degree which is bad of me.

I couldn't agree with you more there Owen.... we are not the smartest crowd when it comes to decisions like that.... I however (and I'm sure this is obvious) did not vote for him either election.

I've only really started getting more into politics since I've had Aaralyn, have always voted but I pay way more attention to what's going on and who's who.... although they all in some ways just lie to make us hear what they think we want to hear. I really think Obama is a great choice for president, especially over McCain, he's another blooming idiot in my opinion and he's 71 years old for geez sake!! His running mate has no experience other than being a mayor (of the town I'm originally from in Alaska ironically) and being governor of Alaska for 2 years....she seems like an interesting lady but not presidential material if McCain were elected and then happened to kick the bucket (sorry)

The one thing I worry about and this is a sad possible reality, if Barack Obama were to be elected president, he may very well be signing his life away if you look at history No I hope that would not be the case though...

RichieRichie
Barack Obama must be elected president, get another decent young guy with ambition in the seat over here and this world may finally become a decent place once more. Obama is saying what people want to hear and hopefully what he says has alot of truth in it! I will always be Conservatives all the way here due to the last time they were in power, this country was a decent, respected country and now looking at what we are now that's kinda hard to believe!

Well, I wouldn't say Obama is a conservative... unless what you guys consider that is different politically than what we do... most of the democrats tend to lean to the liberal side but not on all issues.... I just think he's a very intelligent, articulate man, whom alot of people world wide may come to respect as a leader and maybe he can not only get our country back on track but help the world get a little closer there too Shrug I hope so..... scares the Angry outta me to think what McCain might do to this country/world Scared

RichieRichie
Well conservative is only a name of the group. Labour has done Angry all for this country and it's a surprise how they managed to make it this long, I think our people have finally seen this according to the bi-elections! Labour got their lowest seats in about 40+ years I think it was so that may have shaken them up a little but hopefully they will be out next year! I pray to god that sence will prevail and Labour go, even if Lib Dem's take the place I really don't care as long as Labour aint there! LOL

Richie said:
Well conservative is only a name of the group. Labour has done Angry all for this country and it's a surprise how they managed to make it this long, I think our people have finally seen this according to the bi-elections! Labour got their lowest seats in about 40+ years I think it was so that may have shaken them up a little but hopefully they will be out next year! I pray to god that sence will prevail and Labour go, even if Lib Dem's take the place I really don't care as long as Labour aint there! LOL

I have to admit that I know nothing about Brittish politics, I should know more about world politics in general... Embarassed

On that note, I'm going to switch over some laundry and watch the 11 o'clock news and see what's going on in the world today! Wink

RichieRichie
I've only got into politics over the past year or so so I aint exactly up to scratch on it but just by looking at the recent record books I'm placing my faith with the conservatives LOL

glowingsunglowingsun
In Canada we only bits and pieces of U.S politics, but we understand that whoever they vote for effects the way Canada is influenced. I hop Barack will incourage more piece in the world than wars. I think John McCain just used little miss Alaska as a publicity stunt. This harmful for women in politics because it puts her on the sidelines as just arm candy to someone higher up. It's adisgrace to women everywhere. It could even hurt the chance for any woman to run for president in the future!

Yep, I agree with that too, I don't agree with alot of her views, but I think given some more experience Sarah Palin may make a better congress woman or senator but I don't think she is any way shape or form ready to be the next vice president.... I don't agree with some of Joe Biden's views but I do feel a bit more comfortable with him as a vice president.... as I said before, the thought of McCain becoming the next president is a horrible thought, it will be like having another Bush in there for 4 more years Scared Upset

glowingsunglowingsun
You wanna hear something wacky but suspicously possible? I heard that most people that work for the government (mostly the sinister questionable, deformed looking ones) are aliens in disguise. I heard this while watching a very serious documentary on U.F.O's and the government conspiracy to cover them up. I don't wanna say much more cause I'm afraid the men in black will show up. Unsure

Well, I certainly think that there's a possible chance that we as humans on earth are not the only beings out there in possibly other galaxies or where ever, but I'm not sure if I'll allow myself to think that far into it Scared even if some of them do look like aliens or McAliens Whistling

orc30orc30

Richie said:

Richie, I'm not going to say everything is rosey with the way Labour have done things because that would be wrong, and I am of no fixed party just take each election as it comes. But look at what the conservatives have done in the past; denationalisation of the railways and other industries has just been a nightmare.
It seems to be the local conservatives that are going around closing schools at the moment (at least around here they are). They would have to do a lot to convince me to vote for them. That said I think Gordon Brown should have stayed as Chancellor and got somebody different as PM. He's almost as bad PR as Bush.

I say vote Monster Raving Looney Party!! Only joking!

RichieRichie
Agreed with that Owen but if you look back to when Conservatives were last in power people had a meaning to get out of bed, you wake up and you get money almost as soon as you woke up (not literally handed to you but you know what I mean) My step-dad has 2 business' running at the moment and doesn't even come close to what he was earning back then. (Almost getting out of bed was £50 in his hand let alone a day at work) Since Labour took over he has been getting worse and worse although the inflated price of oil and fuel have been a major factor to this! Personally as much as this will cripple myself and probably 3 quarters of our population they should down the fuel price and up the price of booze and ciggy's! Doing this would therefore give ALOT more money for things like the NHS and sorting our roads and would give small business' like my step-dad's a chance of surviving once again!

Admittedly no single party will turn this country around as it's gonna take alot of time and effort to do this but looking at what Maggie Thatcher accomplished when she was in as conservative shows a bit of promise to the party in general!

Before the bi-election we had Labour in power here and they were threatening to close down 1 of the best schools in this area, since then Conservatives have come in and are trying to undo all the hard work Labour had done and keep the school open! Alread more proof to myself that Conservative are the party for me!

Obviously we are all going to have our own views on it therefore that was mine LOL

candgsmumcandgsmum
I'm not up on US politics but I know that Bush is an out of touch prat.

I don't think anyone here is worth voting for, I wouldn't vote for Gordon Brown, or whoever is leading the conservatives I think they are both as bad as each other. I don't think any of them really know what the real world is, especially with their very nice pay rises and their £10K for their 'second' homes Bad!

My hubby says politicians are like second hand car salesmen LOL.

jo-jojo-jo
I know hate is a strong word but i really mean it when i say i hate president bush i see him not as a person but as a war munger!!!!
I guess he couldnt help it as he has followed in his fathers footsteps right???
I still like Clinton he didnt do much but at least he kept the peace while he was up there in charge.
I think Obama should be given a fair go he is young and fresh with an open mind and most importantly(and has a strong woman "his wife" behind him) Thumbs Up

WkdblueWkdblue
I remember a very heated debate on my own boards with a now ex member. She called Bush a "wonderful President" and said she "wished that he could remain in office for ever". I asked if she thought the families of those Troops needlessly killed in Iraq would agree with her. Funnily enough, she wouldn't answer that!

We also need to bemember that Bush would never have got a second term had it not been for the jiggery pokery of his brother, and all the votes that mysteriously went 'missing'.

Back on subject, Obama strikes me as more of a man of the people. He seems very down to earth and while I tend not to believe anything that comes out of a politicians mouth, what he is saying rings true. He also has his youth, and his family going for him. You can see how much he loves his wife and family and no matter how hard the media have tried, they have not found any muck to stick. All the stuff about himbeing Muslim is rubbish, but there are sadly those that will believe it.

MCain is just a mouthpiece for Bush. He has exactly the same policies that Bush has, wants to carry on the needless Iraq war and if elected will plunge the USA deeper into the depression it is currently struggling with.

As someone mentioned, and I agree with, my only wonrry about Obama is that some nut with a gun will try and make a name for themself. There are still those that think colourds are only good as slaves and that they should not be allowed to run for Office. Angry

Also, McCain has a wee whiney voice and just looks creepy. Obama at least knows how to work a mic and motivate people

Wkdblue said:
I remember a very heated debate on my own boards with a now ex member. She called Bush a "wonderful President" and said she "wished that he could remain in office for ever". I asked if she thought the families of those Troops needlessly killed in Iraq would agree with her. Funnily enough, she wouldn't answer that!

We also need to bemember that Bush would never have got a second term had it not been for the jiggery pokery of his brother, and all the votes that mysteriously went 'missing'.

Back on subject, Obama strikes me as more of a man of the people. He seems very down to earth and while I tend not to believe anything that comes out of a politicians mouth, what he is saying rings true. He also has his youth, and his family going for him. You can see how much he loves his wife and family and no matter how hard the media have tried, they have not found any muck to stick. All the stuff about himbeing Muslim is rubbish, but there are sadly those that will believe it.

MCain is just a mouthpiece for Bush. He has exactly the same policies that Bush has, wants to carry on the needless Iraq war and if elected will plunge the USA deeper into the depression it is currently struggling with.

As someone mentioned, and I agree with, my only wonrry about Obama is that some nut with a gun will try and make a name for themself. There are still those that think colourds are only good as slaves and that they should not be allowed to run for Office. Angry

Also, McCain has a wee whiney voice and just looks creepy. Obama at least knows how to work a mic and motivate people

My sentiments exactly Wkdblue!! You know your stuff when it comes to what's going on with the election here this year! Thumbs Up

I'm not so sure how Gore would have done as president but surely he would have been better than a freakin Bush!! He's done some good with his environment protecting things though!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews