Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Does/Did your little darling do this..

ellee1984ellee1984
posted 9 years 3 weeks ago
put hand down their nappy and then show you their finger for you to look at/smell etc...?

Izzy just started to do this at the last few days and i really want to know is this normal 2 year old behaviour and how did you combat it..

im scared shes going to do it when im not in the room get some poo on her fingers and eat it i know what she is like and if she did that would eating it harm her?

Join JustParents to remove this advert

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
I'm sorry, I'm trying really hard not to giggle! I think at that age, it is very normal. I would just try to keep on top of making sure she washes her hands frequently or uses the hand sanitizers.

Aaralyn recently did something similiar.... she scratched her bum in the privacy of her own room and then came out and asked me to smell her finger... I ask why? she says because it smells like poop Scared I say why does it smell like poop, she says because I just scratched my bum with my finger LOL... so I told her to go wash her hands and that any time she feels the need to scratch her bum, she should go in the bathroom and do it with tissue and wash right after.... Kids!! Rolling Eyes

LihraLihra
Yes that is a kids thing my 2yr old did it with poo in her nappies it shows that they have an intrest in what happens (so hv told me) so i started the potty training

LucyLucy
2 words POTTY TRAINING! Thumbs Up

i think shes ready

ellee1984ellee1984
Crying

im not ready.. do i have to??

she not speaking properly yet so she cant tell me when she wants to go which is why im holding off on that..

LucyLucy

ellee1984 said:
Crying

im not ready.. do i have to??

she not speaking properly yet so she cant tell me when she wants to go which is why im holding off on that..

i trained both of mine at that age, if shes putting her hands in there she knows shes done something, so it cant hurt to try, if she not ready then you can try later

soupsoup
try teaching her a simple sign for it then

teach her to pat her bum to say she wants to sit on the tilet/potty and do something

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Aww hun. As the others have said, it is most definitely normal. Most littluns i know have done that sort of thing?
Before i started potty trainning Lolly i put her down for a nap one day as usual and when i went back in there an hour or so later after i heard she was awake she had managed to get her hands in her nappy and had painted the whole wall in poo. I was standing there completely gobsmacked and didn't know whether to laugh or cry? especially when she looked at me and said 'Look mummy, i bin painting'! Shocked

As for the potty training, it does sound as though you could give it a try and see how you go but i wouldn't do it until you feel ready that you can cope too. It has to be started at a time when you are both ready and you have time and patience to spend with her. I was worried i was going to start too early and then if she wasn't ready i would have to put her back in nappies which i thought may confuse her? (may just have been me, not ready for the next stage?). I waited until i felt the time was right for us both and so far so good? It did take a lot of perseverance though as i'm sure you know from my earlier posts about potty training! Xx

ellee1984ellee1984
yeah izzy only just turned 2 so i dont really feel comfy with it yet and also this is going to sound stupid but i dont think i can handle it i have a weak stomach when it comes to that and i can just about manage nappies atm i dont think i can cope empty/cleaning a potty

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator

ellee1984 said:
yeah izzy only just turned 2 so i dont really feel comfy with it yet and also this is going to sound stupid but i dont think i can handle it i have a weak stomach when it comes to that and i can just about manage nappies atm i dont think i can cope empty/cleaning a potty

Aaralyn never used the little on the floor potty, I put a little seat on the big toilette and she did great that way! She was a little bit older than Izzy though. It might make things easier for you and your tummy when you do start training Izzy using the big potty!

Good luck darlin! Hug

ellee1984ellee1984
thats what im hoping to do but everyone keeps telling me i cant do that until she alot older and it confusing the hell out of me it doesnt really help i have only 1 mummy friend in my area with a child whos a few weeks younger.. i wish we get some more local somerset mummys pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
I have one of those toilet inserts aswell hun. Lolly wouldn't go on it for quite a while, she didn't feel safe(kept saying, 'it's too high-i'm going to fall' even with me holding her Rolling Eyes ) but just a month or so on and she will only go for a poo on the toilet (not potty) and will wee on either? The only problem i have with just using the toilet is that if you are out it is sometimes hard to find a toilet to use? especially as they sometimes don't tell you until the last minute. My area is rubbish for public toilets, they're all being closed, Frustrated so i carry a potty around in case of emergencies. If she will only use a toilet this could be more difficult? Although you do get to know when they need to go by their behaviour after a while and can head for the nearest toilet! Izzy is only young yet though hun, you have plenty of time to get her established! Xx

SeaThreePeeOSeaThreePeeO
In my opinion just turning 2 is too early for potty training. It's no good when they know they have already done something, you want to start training when they get to the point where they know they are doing or have done something. That way potty training catches on quicker.

Amy puts her hands down her nappy and has on occasion found some poo, but there is no risk of her eating is as she panics until I wipe it off.

If they do eat a small amount of poo it will not harm them.

glowingsunglowingsun
My daughter did that and it was pointless to stop her. She never licked her fingers after but I did go through alot of wet wipes. She eventually just grew out of it as she didn't get much attention out of it. I told Candra to do that in her room. I knew she was just exploring herself and it's natrual to do so.
DO NOT turn in to a negative. This will impact on how she feels about her body later.
My daughter was ready to use the potty at 4 1/2. So it does not hae to do directly with potty training.

soupsoup
we never used a potty either

we went straight to the big toilet with a little padded seat under it and a step - no potty cleaning for us - just toilet flushing

ellee1984ellee1984
i think i will hold her off for a while as she only seems to know when she done it and not when shes about to at the moment but ill be prepare for it to be happening soon though

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews