Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Refusing daytime nap

CharlieloveCharlielove
posted 9 years 3 months ago
Hi i have a daughter who will be two in Sept. Only problem being she is refusing a nap int the day, tried taking her for walk in buggy and she just wants to get out adn walk and for a drive in the car, she's happily awake, then hits five oclock and she's falling asleep cause so tired. Can't exactly put her to bed with no tea, so wake her after half hour, try adn get her to eat, but generally she won't and then won't go to bed either til late cause she's had a power nap. tried waking her after 10-15 and 20mins to see if makes a difference but then she goes back to sleep there and then Shrug

ElementaryElementary
Apparently, a bath is good for keeping them awake enough! Maybe have tea earlier then a bath to delay bedtime by a bit Shrug

CharlieloveCharlielove
she normally would have tea at 5, then quiet time, which is normally puzzles, just to let tea go down, bath and bed by 6.30-7. just wish she'd still have a nap in the day. All her friends that are similar ages, some older still have naps in the day. My stepson who will be 6 come Oct would still try adn get a nap in the day if he could. Very Happy She obviosuly still needs a sleep during the day. if i give her tea any earlier and bed earlier then she is getting up earlier too. last few morning been 4.30am, all cause let her go to bed earlier

ellee1984ellee1984
my daughter is the same age she will be 2 end of this month and shes hit and miss with the daytime naps somedays she will have a nap and other days she wont. does she go to nursery/playgroup? my DD doesnt yet but im hoping to get her in 2 mornings a week in sept and i know that can sometimes help with the nap in the afternoon as that tires them out does she do active things during the day as that sometimes can help with the afternoon nap?

my friends DD will be 2 in october and i dont think she always has a nap either. do your friends children sleep well during the night as if they dont maybe thats why they still nap during the day?

welcome to jp by the way im ellee and im mum to izzabella and were from somerset

CharlieloveCharlielove

ellee1984 said:
my daughter is the same age she will be 2 end of this month and shes hit and miss with the daytime naps somedays she will have a nap and other days she wont. does she go to nursery/playgroup? my DD doesnt yet but im hoping to get her in 2 mornings a week in sept and i know that can sometimes help with the nap in the afternoon as that tires them out does she do active things during the day as that sometimes can help with the afternoon nap?

my friends DD will be 2 in october and i dont think she always has a nap either. do your friends children sleep well during the night as if they dont maybe thats why they still nap during the day?

welcome to jp by the way im ellee and im mum to izzabella and were from somerset

Ah right, so your not actually that far from me then Thumbs Up

I did try nursery once, she did taster sessions for 3weeks, 6sessions. It didn't go very well adn they said they didn't think she was ready, now with a new baby due in Oct, i'm worried if i send her she'll envy the baby for she is going somewhere while he stays with me. When he is 6months was thinking of sendign them both while i work part time Shrug so maybe she won't feel threatened. We've been through alot in and out of refuges and i've never left her with anyone. it's jus as much me having a problem as it is her. probably more me. We do always do actvie things, we go out to park most days, swimming, walks to feed teh ducks and over feild to see cows. She has a trampoline and we play in the garden. Even when raining we go out and do something with wellies and raincoat. We're really active. My mum has said try and do boring activities at a set time or refuse to play with her, let her play by herself so it's calmer and see if that has an effect so will try it later. thanks Very Happy

LihraLihra
My daughter is 2 and a half and still needs a nap during the day as if she doesnt she falls asleep at 5-6pm. she normally goes to bed at 7.30pm and wakes up at 6.30am. When she is not in the mood to have a nap i put her in my room (my bed) and put a cd or a dvd on for her and normally go up and check on her 10mins later and she is fast asleep, ocassionaly we have 10mins of crying before she completley runs down the batteries.
I myself do not agree with walking or driving a child to sleep as it becomes a crutch and you will regret in the long run as that maybe the only time to get the child to sleep. A rusk or biscuit before she usualy falls asleep at evening time might help when she hasnt had a a nap as it gives an energy boost.

CharlieloveCharlielove
thanks i'll try that. Very Happy

AlexAlex Moderator
Joseph stopped taking a nap at around 14mths!!! But he was a 7pm-7am child (still is). I agree falling asleep at 5pm means she still needs something. Have you tried just putting her to bed after lunch and just putting up with the crying?

ellee1984ellee1984

Charlielove said:

where are you to? i dont think there are many active members on here from the south west

CharlieloveCharlielove

Alex said:
Joseph stopped taking a nap at around 14mths!!! But he was a 7pm-7am child (still is). I agree falling asleep at 5pm means she still needs something. Have you tried just putting her to bed after lunch and just putting up with the crying?

She just gets up, and plays, she doesn't do it at night but in the day. Got her a blackout blind yesterday so will try that. thanks

CharlieloveCharlielove

ellee1984 said:

Charlielove said:

where are you to? i dont think there are many active members on here from the south west

I'm in Wiltshire (the exciting- Trowbridge LOL Very Happy )

ellee1984ellee1984
oo very exciting.. i went there once..

CharlieloveCharlielove
not exciting enuf to go there again then LOL Very Happy

They keep going on about building a cinema and everything here- but it still won't be exciting and won't take long to get trashed. roll on the oh getting a job in ireland then we can move there

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
Hi! My daughter is 2 1/2 and she still needs a nap in the afternoon too. If she doesn't get one she wants to be in bed by 6pm. I think she is just a child that needs lots of sleep as when she's awake she never stops! I do think it is worth persevering with napping at home and not in a buggy/car as it could become a bit of a chore if the only way you can get her to sleep is by walking/driving her round. I agree with your mum that she may need a bit of quiet time to run down and relax. My LO knows she has her lunch, then we sit and watch 1/2hr of childrens programmes and then she goes for an hours nap. She also sleeps 10-12hrs at night. Oh and i too am from the south west. Am in Barnstaple, North Devon! Xx

CharlieloveCharlielove
woohoo sum SW mums hehe Clapping
LOL

Thanks for that- and ur right it is already becoming a chore taking her out desperate for her to hv a nap.

ellee1984ellee1984
Clapping i think at one stage i was one of the only active south west mums its great to have some more people in the area i live just outside weston-super-mare r.i.p our pier Flower

mum2popsnjakmum2popsnjak
woohoo! Locals Clapping - LOL. Was terrible bout the pier ellee, watched it on the news. Hopefully they will be able to rebuild it. I have a friend in weston. Xx

ellee1984ellee1984
apparently the owners and the council have vowed they are going to rebuild it as the town needs it its the major source of income for the town. its great to have some local people Very Happy

CharlieloveCharlielove
yeah we go to the pier with the kids normally every summer hols, the step boy was asking yesterday if we could go at the weekend as he's staying over this weekend. Crying

Hey maybe we should create a SW post see if we can find anymore out there

ellee1984ellee1984
there were some in the meetup forums but they are for individual countys but i dont see any of the members on her anymore from somerset

Join JustParents for free to reply

Latest Reviews