Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Stair Gates on Children's door

eamesy88eamesy88
posted 9 years 2 months ago
- My blog
Do you think it is suitable to have a stair gate on your child's bedroom door to keep them in their room at night, i have heard of people who have tried this before but not sure if i like the idea or not. what do you think?

Join JustParents to remove this advert

LucyLucy
yeah i would at night we had gates at the top of the stairs and on their rooms it meant no walkies at night and when they cant get out back to bed they would go.

candgsmumcandgsmum
It was something i considered but I decided against it as I prefer to teach the kids to learn to sleep with the door shut and lights out.

AlexAlex Moderator
I had a stairgate on Joseph's room (still there but don't use it unless my nephews come to stay) My stairs are really wide and I couldnt get a gate to fit but I wanted something as my landing is very small and a funny shape and Joseph;s room is at the top of the stairs and didnt want him coming out at night and falling. I never put him in there through the day and locked the gate it was purley for night time safety. Idont see hte problem with it-if he woke up he would stand at the gate (he never tried to climb)

eamesy88eamesy88
- My blog
the problem i have is that my daughter is 2 years old and before i moved into my flat (she was 6months) she had her own room in my mums house, she would go to sleep and go through the night with no problems but since moving into the flat in dec 06 she wont go to sleep alone and wakes in the night, if im not there she gets really upset and wont resettle without me

AlexAlex Moderator

candgsmum said:
It was something i considered but I decided against it as I prefer to teach the kids to learn to sleep with the door shut and lights out.

I could still shut Joseph's door becuase I had a fitted gate

mummyheathmummyheath
- My blog
i did have one at charlys door but she used to go histerical if she couldnt get out it used to really scare her so i took it off! shes had her own room since she was 6months and she now sleeps through the night most nights if she has a bad dream she comes into me now. has a cuddle then goes back to bed. you can always try it hun if it doesnt suit your lil one you can always take it off again x

angelsmomangelsmom
casey used to have a gate on her bedroom, i just couldnt fit one on top of stairs. she was in her own room from 6months and a big bed from 11months or so. when she woke up shed shout at the gate.

she now happily sleeps with door shut and without the gate.

crystalpaulacrystalpaula
posted 9 years 1 month ago
my three year old boy has a stair gate on his bedroom door and so does charlotte my daughter i think its safer than havin a gate on the stairs because u might forget its their

soupsoup
i had one on his door

it helped me sleep at night knowing that he couldn't wake up in the night and wonder off and hurt himself

even though he can open his gate himself i still have it on his door
and when he gets up in the morning it wakes me when i hear his gate open

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
I did in one apartment I lived in had 2 levels, around the time that Aaralyn started walking and her bedroom door was at the top of a pretty long and steep stairwell... I wasn't taking any chances there!

emz08emz08
I have a gate on my youngest sons room
he does know how to open it like but i keep it shut on a night it saves him sleep walking and falling down stairs etc

eamesy88eamesy88
- My blog
Well i have now ordered a stair gate, it is due to be delivered tomo but we are out so wont get it until thursday at some point as going to see my partners uncle who is over from Singapore at the moment, will let you know how it goes once it is in place, although crystal has put herself to bed today and is asleep already haha Thumbs Up

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews