Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Vic has started throwing huge tantrums .........

jo-jojo-jo
posted 9 years 4 months ago
He cracks up at the smallest of things it is starting to worry me.He tenses his whole body and gives me this horrible "i hate you" look then he punches his fists into his legs untill i comfort him!!!I dont know if i am doing the right thing or not? do i comfort him and talk about why he is doing this(that is my approach at the moment) or do i send him to time out(which he hates with a passsion)?It is becoming a everyday occurance and its quite distressing for the both of us.I spoke to his kindy teachers and they say he is a absolute little gem when he is there??he is four and i have never had a problem with his behaviour before everyone tells me its because he gets bored when there are no other children around but we do so much together?Could it be all the excitment and attention about his new brother that will be here soon?HELP LOL Frustrated

Join JustParents to remove this advert

Hayley_KevHayley_Kev

jo-jo said:
Could it be all the excitment and attention about his new brother that will be here soon?HELP LOL Frustrated

it could be his way of showing his emotions towards the new arrival,i imagine all kids go thrusome sort of thing when theres a new arrival (although iv been told the younger the older child the easier it is). i have some info on introducing a new baby and getting other children involved - its really useful,i could do with copying it and either seeing if its possible for rob to put on here or if u want to PM me i could always post it to you! (in hope it doesnt take too long to get to you!)my sis has beenworking with my HV and shes got me loadsa info - let me know and il sort it out for you.

jo-jojo-jo
Thanks Hayley,i am so desperate at the moment i will take any info or advise.We brought some storie books when we found out i was pregnant called baby and me i read it to Vic often and he seems to enjoy it? My MW is great with everthing except this situation she told me to just keep doing what im doing Shrug
I dont want my little man to feel he will be pushed aside and its a big worry to see the major attitude change he is going through Upset
I want my good boy back Halo .

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator
hey hun, it could be a combination.... age and he baby coming. I remember sailing through the "terrible twos" with Aaralyn and thinking what are people talking about terrible twos all the time for? When she hit 4, that's when the attitude started, it's when she really decided to exert her independence and it was rough for a little while sometimes when she didn't get her way.... then along comes 5 Scared Look out!! hopefully for your sakes it's just girls that get this way Rolling Eyes

Good luck with him hun, he'll come back to his sweet self soon, and then be a punk again LOL and then be sweet again, ect.... Hug

BradsmummyBradsmummy
Hi my Bradley is 3 but almost 4 and he has a massive temper on him so it mite be an age thing and about the baby of course he going fill like he wants mummy for him. What my sister does id spend one on one time with all her kids each day. Sorry that’s all I can really say about siblings coz Bradley my only child at the moment.

I use a star chart with Bradley and it works a charm

crazy_girlcrazy_girl
hiya jessica had bad tantrums..if she carnt have her own way she really kicks off...yesterday coz i wouldnt give her anymore crips she actully ran into the saftey gate and basically knocked her self flying backwards..she also wacks herself in the head and face..pulls her hair out..and bites herself..shes a little pycho..all for her own way..shes only 1..think i got terrible wo's early LMAO

AlexAlex Moderator
Hug Its not easy. Joseph has a HUGE temper (I blame the red hair!!LOL) I find that not giving in to him works and I used to put him on the step or into his room until he calmed down (not the 1 minute for every year) it was until he was calm. He now tells me he is angry and goes to the step his self. (I used to be the same as well).

Work out what is best for you hun but stick to what every you decide. Hope Things improve soon.xx

jo-jojo-jo
Thanks for the advise guys,this morning was a nightmare Mad Justin had to take Vic out for the day because i was soooo angry i was ready to smack his bottom(i have never smacked him before) then i just burst into tears and went for a walk Upset
He just went off like a little fire cracker!!Justin put him in time out then sat and had a chat with him they then came to find me at the park having a good old cry all alone.We then had a little chat and Vic explained that he just doesnt like it when mummy says NO Blink
I didnt know if i should laugh or cry... so we ended up having an hour of fun at the park.Justin has taken him out but they called to say they will be back soon.Im going to try every thing possible to make life easier for us all so wish me luck. Crazy

candgsmumcandgsmum
Hug hun, I can sympathise. Charlotte went through a little stage while I pregnant with George and shortly after he was born. I found with Charlotte getting her really involved with George helped. We went to the shops and i got her to help me pick out an outfit and when he was born I got her involved with simple tasks like helping me change his bum (fetching me the wips and a nappy) or counting the scoops of formula in his bottles as I was making them. Unfortunately she was usually more hinderance than help LOL, but she seemed to feel like she had helped me Love

I think most kids can have a problem with the word 'no'. George thinks 'no' is a game at the moment and will just laugh Rolling Eyes

The only way I find the kids will cool down during a tantrum is to be isolated off from everyone. Charlotte is sent to the step and George is put in the dining room if all else fails. (He bangs his head on the floor and arches his back and when he really bad, holds his breath, for attention).

yummymummy97yummymummy97
Don't pay too much attention to it...just praise him alot when he's good!

DorothyDorothy
I agree, don't pay any attention. Comforting him and discussing it with him just gives him what he wants, i.e. your attention and that is unwittingly reinforcing the behaviour.

I have a son of 7 who still has the occasional tantrum, but when he was 3 and 4 he had loads. I just sent him out of the room to shout and scream as much as he liked, and let him back in when he was ready to behave properly.

ElementaryElementary
They aint called 'frustrating fours' for nothing.
Sounds like you are doing fine, and hopefully this phase will pass soon.
Try comforting him and rewarding him when he's good

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews