Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Toddler , fussy about everything!

NaliniNalini
posted 1 decade 1 week ago
Hi,
My 2 year old has become very fussy about everything, though hes always been fussy about eating hes gotten worse since past few weeks. He wants to skip his lunch everyday & just stick on to breakfast & dinner (which he eats with great difficulty!!) & absolutely no milk at all. I am soo worried that he might end up growing into a tiny individual. He trys to vomit everything we feed him. when i spoke to my doctor (whose an american), he told me to stop feeding him untill he askes himself & as a mom i am unable to do this. Any suggestion is welcome. Please please help me.

Join JustParents to remove this advert

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
My daughter is two and 8 months, and is like this doesn't like eating, picks at stuff when she does. I spoke to my health visitor the other day and she said to record the amounts she eats and what she does eat. Also give them a time on their food, my girl always goes back and forth picking at her food. This way they do get the chance to eat it and if they don't eat it they will soon realize they will go hungry. I sometimes do I eat one she eats the next sorta thing. Hope this helps you

BedheadBedhead
I know it is really difficult but your doctor might be along the right lines. When my husband was about that age he went through a phase of more or less refusing to eat, obviously his mum was frantic, and their doctor said similar to yours. After a few months he grew out of it and went back to eating normally. Have you tried offering him food at other times? Maybe he is trying to assert his independance by not eating when you want him to and would be happy to help himself while he is playing etc? I hope some of that helps, good luck, Kerry

NaliniNalini
posted 9 years 11 months ago
Hi All,
I have got good suggestion from one of friend. Please go through it. I hope it will also help you. she said-
I think on doctors suggestion and found its true that American pediatricians will suggest not to give any food till the child asks or not to force feed etc. Which is definitely good for the longer run because it emphaizes to the child that if he misses the food during the time given, he may not get it till the next food time. But being Indian born parents our hearts dont seem to accept this logic as we have been brought up in families where our moms had always put hot food on the table and always cared about feeding us. So we too try to follow this policy.

Well now coming on to your problem:
1. Since your child goes to the day care, you have to ask his teacher to encouarge him to eat. Since they are not going to spoon feed him, only thing that is going to work is asking the teacher to tell him to eat. They can tell him that "Look the other child is eating, do you want to try some, its tasty" etc. This works sometimes. Ask his teacher to encourage him to drink milk too.
2. Not drinking milk, as I see that you are in the US, the day care amy using 2%fat milk now, are you using the same milk as day care or the whole milk? or adding sugar etc.Sometimes kids can taste the subtle difference.
3. Sometimes if you are sending him to a partime daycare, and if you are feeding him a heavy breakfast before he goes there then he may not have an appetite enough. You have leave sufficient gap in between
3. When did he start the daycare, he may be needing to adjust to the daycare settings before he wants to eat etc.
4. If he is giving trouble over eating dinner at home, then you may try to see what did he have before the dinner, if he has had a juice in the car, then allow him to run around and expend the energy and feel hungry before giving him food. You can try to divert him by showing Barney/Mickey Mouse etc. You can even go online and show him some video clips from Barney or disney website. If you are using a high chair then you can ask him to paint and then bring the food, so while he is painting you can give food! Sometimes you can reward him by saying if you eat your food, then we will go out in the playground or we will read a story book or whatever he likes doing most.
Please be informed that all the above divertion tactics does not foster a good long running development program. All the best. Do let me know how it goes.

NaliniNalini
I am trying a medicine which is given for the worms for every 6 months to the baby. I feel it will really work out. The doctor will prescribe the medicine. for 15months old baby, my doctor in India, told me to give it just 1 spoon (only one day)

hipmommahipmomma
hmmm....anyone else smell that?....pink and oval, comes in a can....

kelkel
i defo smell something hipmomma Suspect

Kelly_CaitKelly_Cait
LOL deffo

RobRob Admin
- My blog

Quote:
SPAM REPORT
--------------
The following message was attempted by Nalini. If it appears to be spam, login to your admin area and delete the user--you may also wish to BAN their e-mail address domain if it is not a common domain in the format '*@indiaREMOVED.com':

-------
Hi,

Just want to share something.
I have got some good stuffs regarding parenting, women issues, pregnancy, raising child, child development any many more good stuff on http://www.indiaREMOVED.com

Really a amazing site. have many more issues including parenting and all. I hope you also liked it. Just try

You ladies are getting good at this! Very Happy

Time to get the banning button out

Kris10Kris10
Hi there! I'm sorry your having such a hard time Frustrated My oldest daughter(now 10) went through a similar "phase". My Dr. attributed it to a power struggle (sounds age appropriate). It's been my expreience they will eat when they are hungry enough. I couldn't bear to send her to bed with out eating, but it became a regular habit, as soon as it was bed time, she was hungry....whining from her crib for dinner(so pathetic & heart wrenching) I gave in...everytime. I only give her what I'd origionally prepared for dinner. She eventually grew out of it, but in the meantime; have you tried adding a little choc. or strawberry syrup to the milk? Another thing I did was fruit & vegies for snacks, when ever she wanted. That gave me a little piece of mind. Hope this blows over for you soon! You might also consider getting a second opinion, sometimes, doctors just don't get it.

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator

Kris10 said:
Hi there! I'm sorry your having such a hard time Frustrated My oldest daughter(now 10) went through a similar "phase". My Dr. attributed it to a power struggle (sounds age appropriate). It's been my expreience they will eat when they are hungry enough. I couldn't bear to send her to bed with out eating, but it became a regular habit, as soon as it was bed time, she was hungry....whining from her crib for dinner(so pathetic & heart wrenching) I gave in...everytime. I only give her what I'd origionally prepared for dinner. She eventually grew out of it, but in the meantime; have you tried adding a little choc. or strawberry syrup to the milk? Another thing I did was fruit & vegies for snacks, when ever she wanted. That gave me a little piece of mind. Hope this blows over for you soon! You might also consider getting a second opinion, sometimes, doctors just don't get it.

Hey Kristen, that person was just a spammer Bad!

Kris10Kris10
whats a spammer? how did you know?

miarubymiaruby
- My blog
ha well done ladies for all spotting this hehe! I dont know ay the nerve of some people! Evil or Very Mad

hapydazyhapydazy Moderator

Kris10 said:

It's someone who's trying to spam (sell stuff, you know!) I kinda had a feeling about this one from the beginning which was why I never responded to the post.

kelkel

hapydazy said:

Kris10 said:

It's someone who's trying to spam (sell stuff, you know!) I kinda had a feeling about this one from the beginning which was why I never responded to the post.

me to hun! got a nose for them now Razz

NaliniNalini
Hi,

Are you really feel any type of spamming here then please dont go with the post.there is no complation for you. I found this place good to share our problems thats why I am here. Hope you get the answer what you want.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews