Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

What do you recycle?

mrssummersmrssummers
posted 1 decade 2 months ago
WE have only recently been provided with a decent recycle service but it is less than adequate. We have a brown garden waste bin, blue paper bin a green glass bin and we get bags for plastics and cans.

Each fortight i put out a very empty glass bin but bags and bags and bags of plastics and cans which with the winds up here threaten to blow away. It annoys me because they only leave one plastic sack and i have to use up to 4 degradable plastic bags of my own - the sacks that they leave are reusable so why not leave me 4 or 5 of those each time and then there would be less plastic wasted?

Our paper bin is huge too, i have never filled it yet or even half filled it for collection and i recycles every last bit of paper. With some careful thinking and proper reserach for each area, they could have worked out a much better solution for collection.

is anyone else completely miffed with their recycling services or is it just me who moans?

Anne

Join JustParents to remove this advert

AlexAlex Moderator
I was a bit sceptical to begin with when we got our new bins and service in Oct but I am really into the swing of it now. we alternate weeks recycling/wheelie bin etc

my bag is for paper and thin card
my box is for: glass, tins. plastic bottles.
(I don't put mine out for the bin men I just take them to the recycling centre at the skip)

We don't have a bin for garden waste so it either goes in the wheelie bin or it is up to the skip

I have to say that they people who dont cover their boxes annoy me as their 'recycling' blows about the street and on really windy days the boxes take off as well making the place look such a mess

mumof2_jomumof2_jo
We have a green bin that is picked up by council every month. i recycle tins, cardboard, paper, plastic bottles etc mine is full after 2 weeks Rolling Eyes

kelkel
we ony have the normal black bin where i live, n help from the council to recycle at all Angry Angry

angelmumangelmum

kel said:
we ony have the normal black bin where i live, n help from the council to recycle at all Angry Angry
Dont you have local recycleing bins?

carlacarla
we have pink bags for recycling + black bags
in the pink bag you can put
paper, card, cans, foil, plastics, plastic bags, clothes, shoes and telephone books

they come and get both bags every week.

kelkel

angelmum said:

kel said:
Dont you have local recycleing bins?

you have to able to drive to get to them hunnie, they are quite far out of town for us who dont drive Crying

GTTkelGTTkel
What annoys me is that we have to share communal bins with our neighbours and recently one of our bins was broken and taken away. Our Housing Association said that they are going to monitor how much we recycle and only provide us with a new bin if we recycle which is a good idea but as we share we can't make the other neighbours do it,that's up to them. We recycle plastic, cans, paper, magazines but for glass we'd have to drive and I don't have eniugh glass to make it worth while. I think bin men should recycle glass from our homes too!

ButtercupButtercup
we have a brown bin for garden waste,blue bin for paper and cardboard and a green bin for plastics and tins Clapping they are all emptied fortnightly Clapping

Fife council seem to be making a big effort with recycling now and what a difference it makes as my normal household bin lasts a fortnight and even has spave left in it Razz

jo-jojo-jo
posted 1 decade 1 month ago
We have a similar system in Australia
We have a bin with yellow lid for bottles tins and paper.
We have a bin with a green lid for green waste eg,lawn clippings leaves weeds etc
and another bin with the lid coded to the area you live in for just everyday rubbish.
We try to collect all the cans and bottles ourself and take them to the recycling depo my DH ,brother and dad all take theirs at the same time then they split the cash or buy a few cartons of beer and soft drinks for x-mas.

soupsoup
posted 9 years 2 months ago
paper

tins

glass

and carrier bags

thats it for me as i dont have a car - im limited to what i can lug by hand to the bins

bridbrid
posted 9 years 1 month ago
In East Yorkshire we have a bin for normal waste and a blue recycling bin collected once a month. we can put tins, paper and certain types of plastic in there. However, the rest of our glass, plastic, cardboard and garden waste we have to recycle ourselves.

candgsmumcandgsmum
posted 9 years 1 month ago
We have a black bin for normal household, which is collected once a week, and a green bin for recycling which we can put paper directories, some plastics and cans in, unfortunately they only collect it once a month and it is overflowing, so we've asked for another LOL. We have to recycle our own garden rubbish and glass.

We have got a compost bin but need another because thats full now LOL! Rolling Eyes

rz3300rz3300
posted 1 year 8 months ago
We recycle everything that we can in our home, but it is kind of sad because the company that picks it up at the house recently changes their rules and they no longer accept glass. It would normally not be a big deal but it just so happens that a lot of the cooking supplies like olive oil come in glass so we have to make a separate drive to a place to recycle those, which gets annoying.

purplepen88purplepen88
posted 1 year 8 months ago
Where we live in Canada we can recycle paper, cardboard, plastics, and compostable items. We have a blue bin for plastics, black bin for cardboard and green bin for kitchen waste. I try to be an environmentally friendly as I can and I make sure my kids recycle too. We also take back our batteries for recycling. I think it's important to let kids know they need to be less wasteful.

thash1979thash1979
posted 1 year 7 months ago
After two years of paying for double trash dumpsters, my family decided to recycle this year! We are recycling paper, glass, metal cans, and plastics. It is amazing to see how much trash we used to throw away. We have eliminated more than half of our dumpster use. Not to mention being able to save money in the process.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews