Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Do you sleep in the same bed as your children?

BarbieDollBarbieDoll
posted 1 year 3 days ago
How many of you sleep in the same bed with your kids?

I have to admit we do this. For the longest time I thought this was a bad thing (and maybe it is), but after I had kids I realized the struggle to get them in bed on their own, as well as all the extenuating circumstances that would justify sleeping in the same bed anyways. I know it is not ideal, but it happens.

Join JustParents to remove this advert

JosiePJosieP
posted 1 year 3 days ago
Actually, it is ideal and nothing to "admit to" LOL. It's a comfort to the children. They feel safe and loved. Comforting a child is not spoiling a child. Everyone getting their rest is not irresponsible. I coslept and both my kids found their ways to their own beds just fine and regulated themselves perfectly. Closeness is nothing to be ashamed of LOL.. it absolutely is ideal. It may not be for every adult, but I believe it's definitely for every child.

morgoodiemorgoodie
posted 11 months 4 weeks ago
I did this with my two children and I think it was the best thing. I felt more secure with them with me and they slept just fine. I slept better and was able to get more sleep since I did not have to get up to comfort them. I think it helps them in the long run. Both of them gravitated to their own room and there was no problem. They never wanted to come back to my bed. It is hard to explain but I always felt that I was spending more time with them when they slept in my bed. I think more people do this than admit it and I do not think there is anything wrong with it.

darkchilddarkchild
posted 11 months 4 weeks ago
I do sleep in the same bed or my son does sleep in the same bed with us because he has never slept in his own bed from night till morning. He always interrupts us at night so we just place him beside us.

There is a deadline though, when he is four, it is over because he needs to start feeling independent and we cannot have two children in the same bed with us; we the parents will end up on the floor

purplepen88purplepen88
posted 11 months 3 weeks ago
My oldest slept in bed with us until his brother was born and then moved to his own bed. I loved having him there and the transition to his own room was great. He was ready to be a big boy and knew that it was his brother's turn to sleep with mommy and daddy. I love having my kids sleep with us. I know they are safe and secure. We all sleep better. If they have a bad dream it's a quick kiss and a snuggle and they go right back to sleep. Cosleeping isn't for everyone but it has sure worked for our family.

kaka135kaka135
I have been sleeping in the same bed together with my two children since they were born, and now they are 4 and 7, we are still sleeping in the same bed. There are actually two beds together. This is really something I love doing. Both of them love to sleep beside me, and I think it makes them feel safe and comfortable being with the mother as well, especially the younger one.

I am not rushing them to sleep on their own, as I believe there will be a good time for them to want to have their own bed, and when time comes, I just let it be. As both of them still like to snuggle with me, I'll just let them be as well. Of course, my eldest will not be able to sleep beside me after my baby is born, he understands that as I need to take care of the little one.

missiemousemissiemouse
I have co-slept with my son since the day he was born and until now that he's turning two. I am really a light sleeper and every move he makes wakes me up. So I know that I won't be pressing onto him when we sleep. Plus, the bed we have is really spacious for the both of us. It's only the two of us who co-sleep though, my husband sleeps in a futon, LOL.

My husband is such a deep sleeper that's why he can't be in the same bed with us. He might crush our little one. We tried sleeping before, all three of us, in one bed. Good thing that I'm a light sleeper because I was able to see that my husband's arm was already pressed unto our son's body. After that incident, he never slept in the same bed with us.

momsiemomsie
I did until they were about 5 years old. It helped them feel loved and safe. We read together or listen to music or just talk until they fell asleep. Now that my eldest is nearly 18 and my youngest is in her tween, I just snuggle with them at times when they wake up on holidays or weekends. My youngest loves the idea but my eldest just goes for a hug. Precious moments I will always treasure!

Amelia88Amelia88
I must be the exception here - my little one has been in her own crib in her room from about 5 months. Before that she was in a separate bassinet in our room. I don't have anything against co-sleeping, it just wasn't for me. I was always worried I would be too tired and roll on the baby especially in those newborn days.

rz3300rz3300
I remember a while back there was a speaker that came to a local college here and gave a little speech or lecture or whatever about parenting, and one of her things was that sleeping in the same bed as your children is natural and it promotes all sorts of benefits, but only up until a certain age. It was pretty interesting stuff, and I just came away from the whole thing happy that there are people out there doing some real research on these sorts of things. I think it is a personal choice, one that I did not do but I cannot say anything bad about anyone who does.

zoribridazoribrida
I take my kid in bed with me until he falls asleep and after that I put him in his own bed. Most of the time he sleeps through the night, but if he wakes up and I can't put him back to sleep in his bed, I take him in ours. I don't think it's a problem. The only thing that worries me about co-sleeping is that I might roll on him or hit him by accident:/

windowrushwindowrush
posted 9 months 2 weeks ago
Our kids' bed is just beside our bed and they sometimes sleep over to our bed especially my youngest. LOL. I don't see any problem with it but for sure when they grow up, they will definitely prefer to have their own room.

sugarnspicesugarnspice
posted 9 months 2 weeks ago
Sleeping with your kids increases your bonding moments. I think the feelings of parents and children are mutual as they feel comfortable and secured. For me, there is nothing wrong with it. Smile

jisoojisoo
posted 5 months 3 weeks ago
I sleep with my baby since her second week. She was on the crib for her first week and the effort of getting up for her for night feed became too tiresome. Now that she's 16 months, she still wants some comfort night feeds and I just pop out my breasts. Sometimes, I wake up and my breasts are still exposed. At least, it was a peaceful, no fuss night for the two of us.

menisamenisa
posted 4 months 3 weeks ago
No.. My daughter is 5 years old now, and she has a separate bed for her, in the same room though.

LenoreHaighLenoreHaigh
posted 3 months 3 weeks ago
We used to until he was about 4 years old. Then we moved him to a separate bed in the same room. When he was 5, we moved him to a different room.

tammietammie
posted 2 months 1 week ago
This is totally fine! Just don't miss the point to get them out of your bed Smile A 15 year old sleeping in the same bed as his or her parents might be not the best goal Smile

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews