Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Too old for the tooth fairy?

tina122321tina122321
posted 1 year 5 months ago
My son is 9, almost ten. We explained about the real Saint Nick and Santa Clarita last year. Our older girls got it and understood. He kept insisting Santa was real so we left it alone and the girls just helped be Santa for him.

Last week he lost his tooth and told me the tooth fairy was coming so I played along and the tooth fairy left him some money under his pillow. I am happy that he still wants to believe for right now. But how old is too old for the tooth fairy?

Join JustParents to remove this advert

morgoodiemorgoodie
I have two children who are 10 and 9. Both of them still believe in all of them (Santa Clause, Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny). I see nothing wrong with it and I do not think there is a specific age that they have to stop believing in these things. I want to prolong their childhood and all the innocence for as long as possible. I figure that they will soon enough figure it out and until then I will just play along with it. When they come to me and ask me questions then I may tell them then. I am just going to play it by ear.

darkchilddarkchild
There is no problem with him believing all the make-believe characters; the older he gets, the more he will realize they are tales for children. There really is nothing to fuss about.

Let him be a kid, he is still one.

kaka135kaka135
I was not grown up in this magical world, but I'd like to create this for my children. I see it's really good for children to live in the magical and fantasy world, and I'd say no, it's never too old for the tooth fairy. Moreover, your 10 year old son is still a child anyway.

I see kids who believe in magical world seem to be more imaginative and creative. I think it's really good for your son who still believes in Santa Claus and tooth fairy.

rz3300rz3300
Our kids were quick to catch on to things like the tooth fairy and Santa Clause and all of that, so it kind of took the fun out a little early, but that is okay. I would think that a lot of parents are seeing that happen earlier and earlier these days. They also lost their teeth really late too, so maybe that played into it. I would say just give them a quarter and tell them that the tooth fairy is cutting back.

purplepen88purplepen88
posted 1 year 4 months ago
I think my oldest son believed in the Tooth Fairy, Easter bunny, Santa until he was 11. I have no problem with him believing. It's such a time of innocence and I'm glad he was able to believe that long. I expected someone at school would have told him differently and maybe they did but he wouldn't believe because his dad and I were able to keep him believing. He never doubted it. His little brother is just 6 and he is great at keeping the magic alive for him. You are only little once so why not keep it going for as long as they will believe.

missiemousemissiemouse
posted 1 year 4 months ago
Hmmm... To be honest, there is no too old for the tooth fairy until the child realises it for himself. I did not grow up in a household where there's a magical tooth fairy leaving money for my tooth. Or a santa claus giving some gifts during Christmas. And if my son is old enough, I would definitely allow him to believe in such fantasies. It's fun and it is a great part of a child's younger years.

I guess as long as he wants to believe in it, I'd let him. But you know, not until he's an adult. LOL. In any case, kids today are very smart and they will realise the truth one way or another. So as long as we can let them be kids, why not?

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews