Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Do you pay your older children to babysit?

moneymakingmoneymaking
posted 1 year 3 months ago
I am a single parent, so I don't have the other parent to help out when it comes to watching my younger children when the need or want arises. When I need to run to the store, or take another child to practice but I don't want to take the younger kids with me I leave them with my oldest. In those situations do you pay your older child to babysit? Do you pay your child for some situations, like needed to run to the store verses going out for fun? I am just curious to see how others handle this. Thanks

Join JustParents to remove this advert

morgoodiemorgoodie
I am not in this situation and probably never will be since my children are only 15 months apart. My parents would always leave me with my older sisters when they would need to go to the store but they never paid them. I think it was seen as the responsibility of the older kids to help with the younger ones as a way of helping out the family. I think it would be up to what feels right for you whether you paid them or not. Maybe if you were just going out with friends versus taking another child somewhere or running an errand, it would be more of a reason to pay them. Maybe a little extra allowance at the end of the week or something.

darkchilddarkchild
I wouldn't pay in cash but rather would pay with toys, games or something special so that the older can look forward to babysitting his sibling next time. There comes a time when you cannot take them with you everywhere you go, especially the salon or a baby shower; there is need to learn how to be responsible at an early age.

Amelia88Amelia88
I'm not yet in this situation but certainly when my husband for instance was growing up, his parents would let his older siblings watch him. There was a 10 year age gap between him and his oldest sibling so there was certainly that feeling that the responsibility level was there to handle the task. I think that's the biggest thing. I think I would pay - probably not as much as I would if I was hiring a specific babysitter though.

tieecetieece
posted 1 year 1 month ago
It's not as though your other children would have a responsibility as such to keep an eye on their younger sibling but a treat would be nice. A babysitter could cost more anyway!

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews