Join JustParents for free to ask for advice and make new friends! It only takes 60 seconds. Join JustParents

Do you have a favorite Child?

darkchilddarkchild
posted 1 year 5 months ago
Growing up, my parents had their favorites; my Dad's favorite was my elder sister and my Mom's was my eldest sister. Myself and my younger sister were just the addition to the family. I do not plan to do this to my children because I find it insane.

Do you have a favorite child?

Join JustParents to remove this advert

AubsessionAubsession
Me and my husband are still trying to conceive so I don't have a favorite child yet. I do have a lot of nieces and nephews that I have been treating as my own children. I do have favorites, but I love them all equally. Although it's really hard for some people, having favorites is normal. I mean, favorites are there because you relate or connect with that person more. Just like choosing a best friend, you can have a lot of friends but there will always be this one person who you could share everything with.

I'm sure you're also a favorite of someone, i.e. your uncle/aunt, your cousin, your grand parent? I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's okay to have favorites but parents shouldn't show like they don't want you or anything like that.

Akiram13Akiram13
I will soon have my fourth child. My three daughters all get the same attention from. I do not spoil one and not the other. But my eldest thinks I don't love her anymore because of her 1 year old sister. Who needs my attention more. I don't plan on having a favorite all I have planned is to love all of my children equally.

morgoodiemorgoodie
My sisters and I always joked that we were each the favorite child in the family but it was not true. My parents loved us all equally but I am sure they were for different reasons besides being their children. I have two children and would never think of loving one more than other. I love them both very much and there are different reasons why I love them so much. I do not think I could pick a favorite child. I do not understand how you can and then to have them no it. How do you do that to your child? I realize some people do that but I am just not one of them.

NewJersey13NewJersey13
I can't imagine saying I have a favorite child. I love my children equally. I would do anything for both. When I was growing up I use to think my brother was my parent's favorite child. He seemed to get away with everything! I can understand how a child may think another sibling is a parents favorite. Sometimes you have to do certain things differently with a child than you did for another. Each child is different and may respond to different things.

tina122321tina122321
I love all my children equally. So does my husband. But we do get along differently with each one. My husband and my oldest daughter get along really well. She and I sometimes butt heads because she is so much like me.

We both get along great with our middle child because she is so easy and helpful. My husband gets annoyed with our son. He is just like daddy and a lot of the things that my husband does all the time annoys him when our son does it. Those same things endear our son to me because obviously they don't bother me that much or it would have bothered me about my husband.

So we don't favor one child love another but I think we have different bonds with each one.

JosiePJosieP
I was the favourite growing up and I had to deal with the resentment that grew in my brother because of it. I will never make one child feel less important than the other. I tell them every day, they're both my world and there isn't anything I wouldn't do for them. We have different relationships.. my oldest and I have a lot more interests in common than my youngest and I. But my youngest and I are more alike emotionally and creatively. Different, but equal Smile

Amelia88Amelia88
I only have one child but I cant imagine having a favorite even when we add to our family. I figure my heart will just make room and that both children will be loved the same! I would never want my children to feel like one wasn't the favorite or wasn't loved as much as their sibling...that just makes my heart ache with sadness! Plus I wouldn't want there to be some sort of awful rivalry between them that they were competing in a sense for love and attention!

mmich0003mmich0003
I got two kids one and one girl. My eldest son's dad has a different dad actually and after 8 years I got married with a different man and had another child. Most of the time my eldest son feels like i love my youngest more than him but i always told him otherwise. I make sure that i treat them fairly. It's just that sometimes i cant help being mad at my eldest being so naughty and hard headed so what I would do is I talk to him
About his mistakes and would always assure that i love him just the same.

jhayjhay
It would be hard if you have favorites..because children would grow up thinking that they are loved less or more. but there are instances that yeah.. one child would really need special attention

kaka135kaka135
I have a boy and a girl. I just can't pick my favorite, as I love both of them. I don't think I'll ever have a favorite child. I do explain to them I'll surely spend more time and attention to the newborn baby, as he needs me more and the elder two are old enough to take care of themselves too. I definitely love them all. I told the same to my eldest when I was pregnant with my second child too. But, I always tried to spend time with everyone of them as much as I can. Both of them understand this well, and they always say they'll help taking care of the baby as well.

When I was young, though my mom kept saying she doesn't have any favorite child, she loves all of us, all of us think she favors my eldest brother more. Though I know she loves all of us, she respects my eldest brother's opinions more. Perhaps she thinks he is wiser. It certainly hurt sometimes, but now I am totally fine with it.

artyarsonartyarson
If you have like 3 or 5 children, some of them might be the one you best click with. There might be the most accountable kid who takes the responsibility for his actions since his young days and always try not to let you down when you need his help. You will like him most of all, on the subconscious level.
HOWEVER
You must never show that to others. You must treat them equally and show them that they all mean a world to you, not just one kid. Others won't feel envious about that. They will grow healthy and with at least normal self-esteem.

Join JustParents for free to reply

Forum search

Latest Reviews